Researcher Employability Project (REP – 1 month) 2014-2018 starters

130+ projects completed in over 24 countries

“The centrepiece of the WRoCAH training programme, Researcher Employability Projects offer a meaningful experience that is ambitious with the opportunity to explore the contexts in which employers operate, in the UK and internationally”


What is a REP?

Between month 15 and month 24 of your studentship, WRoCAH doctoral researchers* will complete a 1-month Researcher Employability Project (REP) with an external partner organisation.  This is a short internship during which you will complete a specific project that will have a tangible outcome such as a report or performance.

REPs are intended to be something different from your PhD and should not be directly related to your research.  You will continue to receive your stipend payments (if you usually receive them) during the project.

“My time at White Rose Brussels has proven extremely beneficial as I think increasingly about life after the PhD. Prior to embarking on the PhD I was committed to pursuing a career in academia but as my interest in this has diminished the REP came at the perfect time to show me what other opportunities there are for research-based careers either tangentially or entirely separate from the university.” ~ Joe Rollins, 2015/6 cohort who completed a REP with the White Rose Brussels Office in 2017

* WRoCAH Doctoral researchers with AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Awards do not complete a Researcher Employability Project.  These research degrees are completed with a partner organisation, with the researcher embedded in that organisation.

Why is getting this type of experience so important?


A thorough understanding of a working environment beyond your home institution is an important part of developing your employability skills.  The post-doctoral careers market is global and intensely competitive and you will find yourself competing with researchers from other parts of Europe, the US and Asia.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 15.53.32“…more needs to be done in professional development provision to give researchers greater support in making career decisions and improving their employability.”

Source: Final report of the ERA-SGHRM Working Group on Professional Development of Researchers, European Research Area Steering Group on Human Resources Management, May 2012



Vitae also have plenty to say about the importance of gaining additional experience while completing your PhD to enhance employability:

Your choice of where to do your REP should relate to your career aspirations and will provide an point of difference in your CV on graduation.

The purpose of the project is to identify professional skills that will improve students’ employability and work with a partner organisation to learn and improve those skills.

Projects will be developed with the partner organisation which may be in the UK or overseas and WRoCAH will fund the travel, accommodation and other project-related expenses.


When should I do my REP?

You can complete your REP any time between month 15 and month 24 of your studentship (full time) or month 30 and month 48 of a part time studentship.  This may be extended to month 27 if absolutely necessary but you will be into the final year of your doctoral degree by this point and need to have your focus elsewhere.

Does my REP have to be 1 solid month?
Your project should be 1 working month in total (no fewer than 22 working days).  In negotiation with your partner organisation this can be completed in a way that suits both parties. WRoCAH will work with you and partner organisations to make sure that you have the greatest range of opportunities available to you, that fit your personal circumstances.

Do I have to work at the partner’s location?

Not necessarily but we would strongly suggest that you do. Now that we have significant experience of REPs, the most rewarding and valuable projects have been those where students have been able to work directly with their host organisation.

Also, if you do not work on-site, previous students have reported that it becomes difficult to separate REP from your PhD research leading to potential stress and conflict for you. Use this opportunity to get away from your research for a brief spell. Students report returning with renewed enthusiasm and vigour when they have had a chance to take their head into a different realm for a while.

How do I go about identifying and organising my REP?

The WRoCAH office will support you and your supervisor in organising your Researcher Employability Project.  REPs can take a number of different forms:

  • Applied research: You develop a project with a partner organisation.
  • Commissioned research: You work on on a project commissioned by a partner organisations.
  • Next-step research: You work with a senior researcher in a research organisation outside WRoCAH, or a senior manager in a research-informed industry, to complete a pilot proposal for postdoctoral work (if you are considering this option please ensure that you have an early conversation with the WRoCAH office). 
  • Internationalisation: While any of the above may have an international dimension, WRoCAH students are encouraged to connect with partner organisations outside the UK.  This gives the opportunity to experience another working culture.

For projects defined by partner organisations (ie. commissioned research), you will need to provide an up to date CV and may be competitively interviewed to ensure your suitability if several researchers express an interest in the same project.

REPsectorsFinding a partner

You may do a REP with any partner organisation.  This will normally be with an organisation outside Higher Education, for example, one of the WRoCAH Core Partners or any other organisation in a range of relevant sectors.

If you are interesting in working with one of the WRoCAH Core Partners, please contact the WRoCAH Office first.

You may have contacts yourself, or your supervisor may have suggestions about partner organisations they have worked with or have contacts with. For partner organisations who have never worked with WRoCAH before and will not be aware of the REP scheme, we have created an introductory letter which you may wish to use to make initial introduction to prospective REP partners. The letter has been professionally translated into French, German, Italian, Portuguese (suitable for Portugal and Brazil), Spanish and Catalan to help students organising placements overseas.

Link to Introduction letters (WRoCAH login required)

What about costs?

WRoCAH will cover reasonable costs relating to REPs.  We would expect these to range between around £500 to £2,500 – the average cost of a REP is £1,485. Talk to us early if you think your costs might be in excess of this range.


Thinking of a REP in the USA? Click here to learn about the type of visa you will require.


Registering your REP

You must register your REP at least 4 months before it is due to commence and no later than 18 months into your Studentship (full time).  This is so that you can take some time work up a full project plan, in consultation with the partner organisation to ensure that the time spent is a meaningful experience.



Tripartite Agreement

You should ensure that you have shared the guidance notes for partners with any potential partners.

Current Students: For full Guidance and the application form, visit the WRoCAH Intranet

Ready to go?

Click here to register for a REP

Once you have registered your REP, you will be sent:

  • Confirmation that it meets the requirements for a REP (or queries if necessary before confirmation can be made)
  • A link to kick start the Tripartite Agreement process
  • A link to the full project plan which must include all the parts detailed above.