This event is run with the Borthwick Institute for Archives in York
This is an introductory workshop and therefore primarily aimed at first year doctoral researchers. However if you are further along in your PhD research and still relatively new to archival research you are still more than welcome to register for a place.
This course will explore the practical issues encountered in visiting archives and using archival sources, and will include:
- A tour of the Borthwick Institute for Archives
- Finding subject-specific sources
- Using ‘Discovery’, the National Archives’ record descriptions database
Participants will also have the opportunity to work with real archival material, considering
- asking relevant research questions
- taking meaningful notes
- photographing and recording sources
The programme will be run by Dr Kate Giles, from the University of York and Sally-Ann Sheard & Chris Webb from the Borthwick Archive.
A working lunch is provided.